Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sitting Pretty

It is amazing the treasures you can uncover in storage! My mother and I found this chair years ago in my Great Grandmother's attic. It was faded, torn and extremely worn...but had great bones!! After my unsuccessful attempt at a custom slipcover, I decided to get it professionally reupholstered. While it was a splurge, it was definitely worth it. I found a fabric in a modern color that updated the traditional style of the chair.


Before



The apple green velvet coordinates with other colors in my living room. Since green is favorite color, I knew it would be a fabric choice I could live with for many years. A bold pattern would also have been a good choice to bring new life to this old chair.


After


The cost of the reupholstering was around $275. The great thing about refurbishing an antique chair is that the quality is far superior to most pieces of furniture made today. The wood is hard and sturdy and will last forever. I have shopped at salvage stores and antique malls to find more pieces like this one. I recently found a great chair at The Salvation Army for $5!!! I plan to get it reupholstered as well. With a price like that, it is worth putting some money into it in order to create a custom piece of furniture that reflects your true personal style.

Do you have a tired old chair cluttering up your attic or garage? Find a fun fabric and breathe some new life into your space with a great refurbished piece that you will love for years to come!!

~ Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment